Sunday, December 1, 2019

The Decade: Movies

We're in December of 2019- not just the end of the year, but the end of the decade.  I'll leave it to other to discuss the worldwide themes of the decade.  I will say this; while there are several unpleasant trends between 2010 and 2019, it's an improvement over the last century at this time- no World Wars destroying millions of lives.

But, on a lighter front, I figured I'd give my own personal opinions on various categories of the decade.  We'll start with movies.  These are just my $0.11, and I'm open to suggestions for movies I haven't seen yet.

2010: Inception/Toy Story 3- we're starting with a tie. Inception is probably my favorite science fiction movie of the decade. I love the concept, even though it falls apart when you think about it. But invading people's minds through their dreams is a cool concept that works in a movie on a big screen.

As for Toy Story 3... Toy Story might be the greatest movie trilogy of all time (yes, I know there is a Toy Story 4; I haven't seen it yet). There isn't a weak movie among the three. I was convinced that 3 couldn't live up to the first two movies, and I was wrong.


2011: Captain America:  The First Avenger- the first of several Marvel movies in my list. Chris Evans nails the character (it's hard to make a non-snarky Lawful Good character interesting, and he pulls it off). Setting most of the movie in the WWII era gives the movie a unique feel among the Marvel Movies, and allows you to see the history.


2012: Avengers- another Marvel movie. They did it- they spent five movies setting up this movie, with only one misstep. They had a movie with ten main characters and they gave them all moments to shine. As a story, the movie is great. But sticking the landing is even more challenging, and they did it.


2013: American Hustle- went back and forth between this and The Wolf of Wall Street. Both are black comedies about scams and based on real life events. I went with Hustle for this reason; The Wolf of Wall Street was made by a production company that stole $10 billion from the people of Malaysia. The reality of making that movie is worse than the movie itself.


2014: Captain America:  The Winter Solider- another Marvel Movie. Tough choice- I could have gone with Guardians of the Galaxy or The Hobbit: The Battle of Five Armies. One movie that it wouldn't be was Birdman- I started watching it and just got bored halfway through. Which might say more about me than about the movie.


2015: The Big Short- Love the book, love the movie. Does the best job explaining exactly what the hell happened in the 2008 economic downturn that I've seen.


2016: Star Wars:  Rogue One- none of the Star Wars movies come close to the brilliance of A New Hope or The Empire Strikes Back. But Rogue One comes closest- it's an original story, it's fills in some of the story gaps, and it gives moments of awe-inspiring glory and horror. JUST edges out Doctor Strange

2017: none- I haven't seen Murder on the Orient Express or Spiderman: Homecoming, and none of the other movies released this year really appealed that much to me. Maybe Star Wars:  The Last Jedi- but that movie left me with more questions than answers. I'm terrified it'll be like The Matrix: Reloaded- an incomplete movie without the sequel, and the sequel is so bad it ruins the other movie.

2018: Into the Spider-Verse- I love this movie. It has the right 'fit' for Spider-Man, able to be serious without getting too depressing, and somehow manages to tie multiple universes together in a way that works. JUST edges out Black Panther

2019: Avengers: Endgame- technically, this is still up in the air. Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker might (I hope) top it, and I really enjoyed Knives Out. But, like Avengers, it managed to tie so many other movies together that right now it's my movie for 2019.




No comments:

Post a Comment