Friday, September 7, 2012

Doctor Who Thoughts

I have become a Whovian, watching since the series was rebooted in 2005 and starting to watch many of the 'Classic' episodes.  (Favorite Doctor:  Right now Nine.  Favorite Companion:  Ace, with Donna RIGHT behind her).  So, as this season began, I chronicled my thoughts, comments, and criticisms:

**  NOTE:  Don't read further unless you've seen the episode.

1) I hated, hated, HATED the whole "Amy and Rory are divorcing" sideline. It felt false, it didn't add to the story at all, it wasted the actors. Every time that part of the story was brought up, I wanted to shoot the TV.
I will argue that, of all of the companions that I've seen, no one has been wasted more than Amy and Rory. Rory's only purpose is to show how much he loves Amy (and be a corpse when they want someone to appear dead for dramatic purposes). Amy's only purpose? Look good and be a damsel in distress for the Doctor. Blargh.

2) Now, the "Oswin as Dalek" twist? Loved that. Thought it was brilliant, and it caught me off-guard (though it shouldn't have). But...

3) They blew up the planet and killed her off?!?! NO! There were so many directions they could have taken that concept. Have the Doctor rescue her and try to 'fix' her. Or see if a Delak (even an 'insane' one) can fit in their universe as a protagonist. Or hell- when the Doctor forced her to confront the truth, have her go mad and vow revenge- giving the Doctor an insane Dalek foe who is actually SMARTER than him.

But to create a character that has so many storylines and then kill her off two minutes later? What a waste...

((Note: I retract this comment if she is brought back and they follow one of those storyline suggestions))

4) The "By the way, I've completely deleted all records of you to the Daleks. They have no idea who you are" strikes me as corny and bad writing. And it won't last past the next time they want the Daleks to remember that the Doctor is their enemy.

No comments:

Post a Comment