Sunday, October 28, 2012

Harden to Houston

Oklahoma City traded James Harden to the Houston Rockets.

I understand this deal the reasoning behind this deal.  OKC decided they couldn't afford Harden, after signing Durant and Westbrook. Harden would be a restricted free agent after this year, and someone would make him an offer that OKC wouldn't match.  Instead of letting the situation fester (see Dwight Howard, Carmelo Anthony), why not trade him now, get some useful players that have a full year to learn OKC's system, and move on?

But Harden was one of the key players to the team that made it to the Finals, and were the favorite to return to the Finals this year.  I would have rolled the dice, kept him for this year to win the title, then risk losing him in the offseason.   

In addition, I liked the players OKC got from Houston.  Martin is serviceable, but Lamb shows a lot of potential, and three draft picks will give OKC some talent to fill in any holes.  I think OKC did much better than Orlando did trading away Dwight Howard.








Is Harden worth a max contract?  I've heard different people argue on that.  I don't know if he's one of the best 30 players in the NBA, but I think a reasonable case can be made.

OKC has always been aggressive and smart.  They may have bungled this move, but given their track record, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.  

As for Houston, they've been trying to trade for a franchise player for a while now.  In Harden, they think they have him.  They may be right.

To sum up- I wouldn't have done it, but I can see why they did it, and I won't rake them over the coals for it. 

1 comment:

  1. Harden's beard, meanwhile, was overheard saying "[BLEEP] Houston -- Cuban would've given us our own island!"

    ReplyDelete