Monday, February 18, 2019

Baseball: Needing a storyline.

I used to be a baseball fan, before any other sport. And I still like following it. But right now, it doesn't hold the interest of sports fans the way basketball and football do.

There's a part of me that thinks baseball needs a villain- and that Bryce Harper might be the best person to fit that role.

Harper is a free agent- and people thought he'd be the first $300 million dollar player. But as of today, no one has signed him. And the fact that no one is upset that he hasn't been signed is part of the problem.

Imagine if he signed a one year deal with the Yankees for a bargain basement price and point blank said, "If the owners aren't going to pay me what I'm worth, I'm going to get a title- something Washington couldn't do- and keep doing so until the fans and owners smarten up about by worth."

He won't- for some very good reasons- but that would make Harper THE story for baseball for 2019. Because right now, baseball needs something to attract the attention of the public.

No comments:

Post a Comment