Wednesday, December 30, 2020

2020: The Year in Review

My summary of 2020:  Kill it with fire.




I've had years that were for me personally- one of my closest friends dying suddenly in her 40's.  The next year, one of my oldest childhood friends passed away.  

The world has had recent years that we were in war and facing terrorism and economic collapse that seemed insurountable.  I can't say that 2020 has been the worst year since I've been alive.  But 2020 has certainly felt like the most depressing year since I've been alive.

COVID struck, killing over 300,000 Americans and over 1.8 million people so far.  My wife and I both caught COVID in October, but fortunately recovered.  

The world is making process on vaccines, and with some luck and skill, the world might be vaccinated from COVID to start getting back to 'normal'.  I put that in quotes because even when COVID abates, so much of our lives will be different from it was from 2019.  Businesses- and entire industries- that died because they couldn't get customers won't be coming back.  Many people (myself included) worked from home, and many of those people will continue to do so.  Epidemics like the 1918 flu and the Black Death changes the world and society, and COVID will also do so- permanently.

We'll adapt to the changes- we always do.  COVID is why 2020 was tragic.  But it wasn't why 2020 was depressing.

In the past, when disaster struck, we as a people bonded together.  The attacks on 9/11 were awful, but we as a country bonded together.  This year, we came across a new challenge- and broke apart.

The country is split between two teams and their defining characteristic is how much they despise the other team.

I always thought politics was like the Yankees-Red Sox rivalry... yeah, you 'hated' the other team.  But when there was a real problem, you ignored your rivalry.  That didn't happen this time.  

And I fear it will continue.  We've elected a new President, and part of me hopes that as Trump recedes in the eyes of everyone, this Culture War will lessen.  But I fear it won't- and I don't know what direction it will go in now.

And it just is exhausting.

Be well, everyone.  I'll try to be more optimistic next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment