Friday, January 22, 2016

Permit me a small sports rant:

I've been a sports fan since 7. I've been a Cleveland sports fan since I first moved to NorthEast Ohio at 14. I've seen the Drive, the Fumble, Jose Mesa. The Greatest Coach in the NFL couldn't win here.  Carlos Boozer- the second banana people were saying young LeBron needed- stabbed the team in the back.  
Worst of all, I saw the Browns move to Baltimore- and turn around to become the EXACT type of excellent team, complete with 2 Super Bowls, that Cleveland had been begging for.  Meanwhile, the current Browns' franchise is a joke until proven otherwise.
LeBron leaving and winning two titles for Miami? A distant second in terms of misery. But it still sucked.
Right before LeBron returned, I really was liking the Cavs team that was being assembled. Kyrie, Tristan, Dion, and now add Andrew Wiggins? Everything I heard about Blatt was promising. They were young, they were all on good contracts.... I was really looking forward to watch them. Hell, I still thought Andrew Bennett could bounce back (I still think so, dammit...)
Then LeBron returned. And Wiggins was traded for Kevin Love (nothing against Love; I just liked Wiggins' youth and athleticism). And we were in 'Win Now' mode, because LeBron was still in his prime.
And I said, several times, "If THIS Cavs team- with LeBron still in his prime- can't win a title, then Cleveland will never win one in my lifetime." After all, there had been so much bad luck regarding sports in Cleveland that there HAD to be a payoff, right?
Right?
I don't think that way today. Not after another reset.
I don't think it's going to happen. Not in my lifetime. And I need to accept it and move on.
Good luck to the Cavs. I hope they succeed. And I'd like to be wrong.
Rant over.

No comments:

Post a Comment