Sunday, February 9, 2020

Baseball Card Thoughts

Topps has released their 2020 baseball cards.  I have my $0.11 on them...

1st- they are beautiful- but to me, it's a sterile beauty.  Take a look at these two baseball cards:


The one on the left is the 2018 Mike Trout from Topps; the one of the right is the 2020 Mike Trout.  The pictures are stunning- but the cards are too similar.  Both borderless, both of the same in-game moment.  Except for the helmet, you could have told me that they were from the same at-bat, and I'd have believed you.

Below is an example from almost 50 years ago;  The 1971 Topps Johnny Bench and the 1973 Bench.  They look different; not only is one a pose while the other is in-game, but just the feel of the cards are different.  Each year had a different redesign.  You can pick out a 1971 Topps from a 1972 from a 1973... it made collecting the cards more special.



Cards have also become a legalized lottery.  Packs are expensive (my 3 packs were $2.99 apiece for 16 cards), but they all have special inserts that, in theory, could be sold for more money.  I fear we are at a stage where no one collects and everyone invest, at which point the market will fall out.  There's also so many sets that trying to be a completionist is impossible

I'm not an investor; I collect for fun. I'll pick a small group and work on them.  

One set I do want to collect is the 2020 Topps Heritage Set.  The Heritage sets have the layouts of years past, and this one is the 1971 Topps (the black bordered cards).  I want to do this the old-fashioned way; opening up a few packs at a time, putting the set together manually.  It's a bad investment- but it'll appeal to my inner 11 year old.

No comments:

Post a Comment