Wednesday, January 1, 2014

NFL Who To Root For & Wild Card Predictions

Note #1:  I have a rule that I can root for a bad team, but not a stupid one.  Given the recent decisions of the Cleveland Browns, I have put them in the latter category, and am looking for a new NFL team to root for.



So let's figure out which NFL team left in the playoffs I should root for.  The remaining teams are:

NFC:
1- Seattle
2- Carolina
3- Philadelphia
4- Green Bay
5- San Francisco
6- New Orleans

AFC:
1- Denver
2- New England
3- Cincinnati
4- Indianapolis
5- Kansas City
6- San Diego

OK- start by removing the teams that have already won the Super Bowl sometime in my lifetime.  This includes the Packers, and while I have a blood relation to Dom Capers, I also grew up in Chicago- so I figure that cancels each other out

That leaves:

NFC:
1- Seattle
2- Carolina
3- Philadelphia
4- Green Bay
5- San Francisco
6- New Orleans

AFC:
1- Denver
2- New England
3- Cincinnati
4- Indianapolis
5- Kansas City (won the Super Bowl, but before I was born)
6- San Diego
So now it becomes, "Find reasons not to root for the teams".  Let's elimiante Cincinnati and San Diego- I find both teams boring.  Kansas City is interesting, but I don't think they have a real chance.  That eliminates the AFC teams.

I like the way all three of the other teams play.  So who's fan base do I want to win it more?  Carolina is still more of a basketball center than a football town.  And Philadelphia- well, I'm still mad about them winning the World Series with Cliff Lee.

Congrats, Seattle Seahawks.  Here's hoping you win it all.



Note #2:  We still haven't found evidence that I am not a sports curse, so whatever team I do root for may be in jeopardy.  If so, I apologize to the fans and the team of the Seahawks.


Wild Card Predictions (winners in bold):

Saturday Games:
Kansas City at Indianapolis:- KC played an easy schedule this year, and probably aren't as good as their record.  If this were at KC I'd give it to them, but in Indianapolis, I'll go with the home team.

New Orleans at Philadelphia:   Three teams have great home-field advantages; Kansas City, New Orleans, and Seattle.  Unfortunately for the Saints and Chiefs, all of their games will be on the road.  Really liking Chip Kelly's offense.  Going with the home team again.

Sunday Games:
San Diego at Cincinnati:  Biggest coin flip.  Not a huge fan of either team.  But Cincinnati has a hard time getting out of the first round.  Going with the upset here.

San Francisco at Green Bay:  In Green Bay, with Rodgers returning and wanting revenge?  Tempting.  Really tempting.  The weather forecast shows it as cold (10 degrees) but no snow.  Going with San Francisco- their defense is good, and the defense is helped in bad weather. 

No comments:

Post a Comment