Monday, August 24, 2020

NBA Draft lottery 2020

 Well, the Cleveland Cavaliers did not have good luck this draft lottery- falling from #2 to #5.  Last year, that was not good- I really wanted Zion Williamson (who went #1 to New Orleans) or Ja Morant (who went #2 to Minnesota).  Instead the Cavs drafted Darius Garland, who is a work in process.  I can't get a read on his ceiling as a player.


This year, the draft is a muddle- a combination of COVID cancelling the NCAA tournament and just an apparent lack of a franchise type player.  I've seen 5-7 players in the mock draft going #1 (now going to the Minnesota Timberwolves).  The last draft like this was 2013, which was a disaster for the Cleveland Cavaliers.  They drafted Anthony Bennett with the #1 pick, and he flamed out of the league quickly.


I think the Cavaliers need to play it safe- they have young talent but some obvious holes.  Specifically, I see them needing a good wing player who can play defense.  The last two years they've drafted small guards who need the ball to be successful.  This year, I think they need athletic wings who can and will play defense.


So for the #5 pick, my preference is for them to draft one of these three players:

1A- Devin Vassell (SF, Florida State)

1B- Deni Avdija (F, Maccabi Tel Aviv)

2- Isaac Okoro (SF, Auburn)

I think these players are good, fill a big hole, and can work well with the team they have already drafted.  

No comments:

Post a Comment