Friday, January 13, 2023

Starting from scratch

 A good news/bad news situation.

The good news is that while I feel I've been in a artistic rut, I think I'm getting out of it.  I've been on a music kick, and it's made me want to pick up the guitar again.  When Jeff Beck passed away I started listening to his playing on videos, and they are incredible.    




I've been trying to teach myself the guitar on and off for thirty years- once taking lessons, but usually trying to teach myself by books and youtube.  It's good that I want to learn

The bad news is that I've realized I have so much to unlearn first.  I've taught myself bad habits, to the point that I have to relearn how to position my left hand to play the frets clearly.

And it's tough.  I have to not bend my wrist, but keep my left thumb straight up down and right behind my middle finger, creating a gap so I'm not bearing any weight on the guitar on my left hand.  Meanwhile, I have to position it so I can't see the frets, and need to figure out where to place my fingers so they are on the right string without dampening the other strings and doing it by feel, and...

This is requiring muscle memory and manual dexterity... two things I'm not known for.

I want to learn, so I'll put in the work (stubborness is something that I am known for).  It's worth the effort.  It's just frustrating to feel like I'm starting from level 1.



No comments:

Post a Comment